Birch Memorial Clock Tower
Birch Memorial, Post Office Road
|Standing in front of the Ipoh State Mosque, the square tower comprises a portrait bust and four panels illustrating the growth of civilisation.|
Unveiled in 1909, the Birch Memorial, a square decorated tower with a portrait bust and four panels illustrative of the growth of civilisation was erected on the table-land at a cost of about $25,000.
A dedication to J.W.W.Birch, the first British Resident of Perak, is found beneath the bronze bust of Birch in the north-facing niche.
The clock tower has one mother bell, 6 ft 6 in. in diameter and weighing 10 cwt., and four smaller bells weighing together 10 cwt., which used to strike the chimes of .
At the corners of the belfry, mounted on pedestals, are terracotta figures, representing the four "Virtues of British " - Loyalty, with sword and shield, Justice, blind and a sword and a pair of scales, Patience, unarmed, and Fortitude, with a calm face and bearing a spear.
On the civilisation panel, 44 famous figures in world history were portrayed. of mosque was painted over in the 1990s due to objection from Muslims to the depiction of the Prophet.